From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 14:52:00 -0700
I now have a way to track how many 'hosts' are accessing our Homepage.  I
find the results amazing.  We've been accessed by 500 hosts.  I would also
like to note that many hosts accessed information about our special 'real'
exhibits.  17 hosts asked for maps of how to find the museum from the Los
Angeles area.

Keep in mind, that the page only came on line in January, and I've
advertised our page in only a handful of directories.

I've edited the figures to show only those parts of the page that have
received 10 or more visits.  Keep in mind that number of hits doesn't
necessarily reflect the popularity of the item.  Could just be easier to
access than another part.

This kind of information really allows me to 'tweak' the Homepage.  For
example, many people accessed my guide to other museums on the web. The
pointer is located on the main page. Do the people that access it spend
time on our page before departing?  Perhaps I should move it deeper down
into the page.

For those of you who don't know the background of this project, the
University of Southern California generously permitted us to set up a
homepage on their server until such a time as we are able to obtain our own
server.  I designed and assembled the page in December and early January.
All of this was done with NO money.

For the Month of January, 1995
Lists only items w/10 or more hosts.

hosts  document                                 Name

500  /lacmnh/default.html                       Homepage

90  /lacmnh/special.html                        Info about Special Exhibits
     18  /lacmnh/sacred.html                    Sacred Encounters
     20  /lacmnh/masters.html                   Masters of the Ocean Realm
78  /lacmnh/general.html                        General Information
     15  /lacmnh/directions.html                Directions to the Museum from LA
     18  /lacmnh/places.html                    Places of Interest in the Museum
     15  /lacmnh/kid.html                       Kid's Stuff
     41  /lacmnh/move.html                      Museum on the Move (from Terra)

47  /lacmnh/res.html                            Guide to Museum Resources
     12  /lacmnh/adult.html                     Information about Adult Programs
     11  /lacmnh/expodir.html                   Personel Directory
     10  /lacmnh/family.html                    Info about Family Programs
     17  /lacmnh/f260.html                      Research Library
     20  /lacmnh/f335.html                      Discovery Center
     13  /lacmnh/f337.html                      Insect Zoo
     15  /lacmnh/lec.html                       Info about Lec and Spec Events
     13  /lacmnh/library.html                   Information about the Library

50  /lacmnh/cal.html                            Calendar of Events (from Terra)

38  /lacmnh/mail.html                           Mail Order Gifts

30  /lacmnh/travel.html                         Travel Program

143  /lacmnh/other.html                         Guide to other Museums

22  /lacmnh/member.html                         Information about membership

192  /lacmnh/tour/tour.html                     Virtual Tour
     20  /lacmnh/tour/african.html              African Hall
     11  /lacmnh/tour/bird.html                 Bird Hall
     10  /lacmnh/tour/cafe.html                 Cafe
     29  /lacmnh/tour/calhis.html               Calhistory
     22  /lacmnh/tour/dardir.html               Changing Exhibit Galleries
     87  /lacmnh/tour/dino.html                 Dinosaurs
     11  /lacmnh/tour/fossils.html              Fossils
     19  /lacmnh/tour/gems.html                 Gems
     18  /lacmnh/tour/marine.html               Marine Hall
     27  /lacmnh/tour/nam.html                  N. American Mammals
     14  /lacmnh/tour/native.html               Native American Hall
     13  /lacmnh/tour/pre.html                  Pre-columbian Hall
     13  /lacmnh/tour/rotunda.html              Rotunda
     46  /lacmnh/tour/sorry.html                outside of tour