From:
Richard Chute <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 08:39:56 -0800
Judith-

Try the Missouri Botanical Garden which, I believe, has a botanical data
base (TROPICOS) based at least in part on taxonomic relationships.  Eric
Siegel at NYBG may have some info on who to contact there or someone from
MBG may be a subscriber to this list.

Also, I'm curious to know what you mean by "based partly" on phylogenetic
databases.  How are the taxonomic relationships represented in the database
structure?  We, like many institutions, are working on these kinds of
problems and would be interested to learn more about your project.

>     We are in the process of converting our cataloguing system to one based
>partly on phylogenetic taxonomic databases for each phylum.  These are
>reasonably easy to develop for groups like fish, birds and mammals but more
>difficult (and more controversial) with obscure invertebrate taxa such as
>nemertines, bryozoa, porifera, etc.  They can also be a lot of work to key
>enter and proof-read, not to mention tracking down the correct hierarchical
>information in different journals (and trying to resolve conflicting
>information.)
>
>     We are aware that a number of institutions already have such databases
>in place or are working on such systems.  Is there anyone interested in
>sharing the development of such databases?
>
>     Please send e-mail responses to:
>Judith A. Fournier
>Collections Division
>Canadian Museum of Nature
>Ottawa, Ont

Richard Chute ([log in to unmask])          Dir. of Corp. & Fndtn. Rel.

Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden         1500 North College Ave.
Claremont, CA 91711
Phone:  (909) 625-8767, ext. 222        FAX:  (909) 626-7670