From:
Brian Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 1995 08:09:24 EDT
Er, Robin--or rather, Nick Negroponte--how many people just watched the
Super Bowl? I haven't noticed many changes since last weekend. I'm
familiar enough with your thinking,Robing, to suspect/hope that there
was at least a smidgen of irony in your post.

Seriously, the Media Lab/Negroponte pontifications about how technology
is going to change the world strike me as hopelessly naive, culturally
biased in the extreme, and partaking of a curious form of infinite re-
gression: it's always the NEXT technology--the current insiders' term
is "frontier technology" (talk about a loaded term...)--which is going to
effect this alleged change. It seems like the historical progression of
styles is being supplanted by a succession of media, wrapped up in the
rhetoric of democratization, but actually perpetuating the control of
these media (and, to a large degree, the messages) by established
interests. Read the 1988 Stewart Brand Media Lab hagiography: on the
one hand, art is employed as a guarantor of "quality;" at the same time,
art is looked at as a non-essential, leisure pursuit without political
or social consequence.

Negroponte is speaking at a bookstore in Brookline (Boston) next week,
he said, rubbing his hands together in anticipation.

Brian Wallace