From:
Hank Burchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 20:30:45 -0500
 On Mon, 6 Feb 1995, Mario Rups wrote:

> >On Fri, 3 Feb 1995 [log in to unmask] wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the 5th draft (apparently
> >     The final revised script of "The Last Act: The Atomic Bomb and the
> >End of World War II" is available "at cost (unstated)" from the Office of
> >Public Affairs of the National Air and Space Museum (202) 357-1552.
> >Hank Burchard * Weekend Section * The Washington Post
>
> No idea whence you got that information, Mr Burchard -- but I called that
> office (they refer you to the central public affairs office, 357-2627).
> The script is NOT available, not at cost, not for anything, not from them,
> not from anyone.
>
> If you have a copy, as I am beginning to infer you do, would YOU be willing
> to sell at cost?  And what IS cost?
>
> Mario Rups

     I was quoting the cover sheet of the final revised version to which
I have access. Apparently the museum has changed its policy. Perhaps it
would be useful to write directly to I Michael Heyman, Secretary,
Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC 20560 and ask him whether he
approves of NASM's refusal to supply, at no cost to the Smithsonian, a
copy of a document of great public interest prepared at public expense.

+ + + + +

Hank Burchard * Weekend Section * The Washington Post
1150 15th Street NW * Washington DC USA 20071-0001
VoiceMail (202) 334-7243 * Email: [log in to unmask]