Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Walter R. T. Witschey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 1995 09:59:52 EDT
ORIGINAL:

> Start-up needs advice: What have been your most successful interactive
> science exhibits. Briefly describe, and offer speculation as to why these
> were so popular.
>
> I'm involved in a science museum start up in Bloomington Indiana. All
> advice from experienced museum experts is most appreciated.

REPLY:
Our two most popular exhibits are "Alice's Parlor" and the "Wind
Trainer" Alice's Parlor is a room
constructed with altered perspective (viewed through a viewport in
the center of one wall.) There are stools in the two opposite
corners. If a small child sits on one (the physically nearer) and an
adult (parent) sits on the other (the physically more distant) the
illusion makes the child 'appear' physically larger. Smaller
younger visitors love it!

Older visitors love the "Wind Trainer" a Piper Cub model set in
front of fans whose blast also hits the visitor. One sits in a
"cockpit" and uses joystick, rudder pedals, and throttle to control
the 'flight' of the tethered model. The 'throttle' increases fan
speed (and the rush of air past the model and the visitors face.)
The joystick and rudder pedals operate radio/controls that
physically model the rudder and ailerons. Landings and take-offs are
possible.

We have another 250 exhibit winners as well!
--
Walter R. T. Witschey, Ph.D.
Director, Science Museum of Virginia