Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Barbara Winter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 1995 09:50:04 -0800
John Maunder: (and anyone else concerned):

You are right - recirc air can be a real problem.  It is especially so in
colder climates. I was curator in such a museum for 9 years.  If someone
from there is on the list, they can give you more up to date details, but I
do not think they are online as of yet.  I can provide smail names and
addresses off line if you want.

We had four fairly large climate controlled galleries, off a heated but not
humidified core.  Winter temperatures outside could sit below -40 for rather
a long time, needing massive amounts of humidification in the galleries to
maintain standard rh.  Summer temps often required de- humidification.

Dept of Public Works wanted to economize by bypassing the humidification
cycles in summer (saving rather a lot). They also at one point sealed the
galleries so that ALLair was recirculated during the 9 month winter period.
I believe we compromised on 15% recirc.  The main problems caused by this
were increased case making clothes moths and a very stale smell in the rooms.

Provincial health and safety regs should cover venting of fume hoods.  Given
some of those 'creative' responses to artifact conservation which were once
practiced, I'd be concerned with off-gassing of all kinds of nasty
substances in storerooms as well as what is produced now in fume hoods, as
well as possible radon buildup (it is heavier than air, and usually doesn't
vent in conventional systems with ceiling or high exhaust out takes).  Do
you have radioactive geological specimens (Sorry, my acquaintance with the
geology of Nfld in minimal.)

I have forwarded your msg to our health and safety people, who may be able
to help with the regs.  Also try Halifax - wasn't there a hospital in
Halifax which got sick?  Their physical plant engineers might be a little
closer and better able to help.  What about CCI?  Have they done anything on
this?

Good luck dealing with this one.  The solutions usually come down to how
much $ the manahement or DPW is willing to spend.  Maintenance budgets are
harder to keep than capital - try to build it so it requires as little
ongoing costs as possible.  Its a tough one.

Barbara

Barbara J. Winter, Curator                                tel: (604) 291-3325
Department of Archaeology                              fax: (604) 291-5666
Simon Fraser University                                   email:  [log in to unmask]
Canada  V5A 1S6

Illegitimus non carborundum