Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Douglas Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 1995 15:15:53 -0800
You wrote:

>This is being cross-posted, so please forgive the
>duplication.  We've had a request from a museum that is
>mounting a clothing exhibit.  In the past, the comment,
>"people were smaller then," has been made by visitors.
>The museum seeks some documentation (a written source)
>that this was or was not the case.  The exhibit is
>primarily women's clothing, but there are a few men's
>garments. Current figures from the National Center
>for Health Statistics indicate that the average height
>for women today is just under 5' 4".  Any info on 1850
>or 1900?
>Pat Miller
>
>Patricia L. Miller
>Illinois Heritage Association
>602 1/2 E. Green St. Champaign, IL 61820
>tel: 217-359-5600  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
It is the case that people were smaller in the past.  This is almost
entirely ascribed to changes in nutrition by historians of such things.
 Robert William Fogel did an extensive study of Civil War soldiers.  And
there are others, but I haven't got exact citations at hand.  Ask your
reference librarian. This shouldn't be too hard to track down.

--
Douglas Greenberg                         Phone:312 642 5035, x200
President and Director                    Fax: 312 266 2077 or 312 642 1199