Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Barbara Winter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 1995 08:42:57 -0800
I'm glad the 'tax revolt' is, as yet, still leaving room for professional
development, promotion of intellectual debate and the maintenance of
informed staff in museums, gov't and "cultural industries".  I do see
reestrictions on such activities as a trend, as part of a demand for
increased accountability and reduced budgets. Perhaps it is a larger issue
in Canada where a greater number of cultural institutions are publicly funded.

>Suzanne Quigley wrote:
>
>But the point I wanted to raise, had to do with intellectual property
>rights and copyright.  If the Enola Gay didactics were to have been scanned
>and put up on the net for all to see, would this have been a violation of
>copyright? Intellectual property rights?  I think it is a wide open
>question.  Those labels were the fruit of someones intellectual efforts.
>Do those labels belong to the individual(s) even if not published?  Or to
>the SI (and by extension the amurican taxpayer)?  Anyone got any thoughts?

As I understand Canadian copyright law, exhibition scripts are the property
of the institution commissioning them.  Canadian copyright law was most
recently revised in 1988, and I believe is under review again.  I do know
that my storylines, my scripts, even my field photos and research notes were
considered gov't property when I worked for the Gov't of the Northwest
Territories.  Acceptance of this was part of the package - sort of like
agreeing to other conditions of work required in other places - to live
within the city boundaries or submit to drug testing, if I can refer to
previous discussions without reviving them!

Barbara

P.S.
Why 'amurican'?  An intentional spelling?  A distancing from Italian roots?
- Amerigo Vespucci?  What's up?  A distant relative of mine, Ap Meyrick,
always maintained the place was named after one of his ancestors of the same
name who was City Clerk for Bristol England, who was said to have paid the
bills for Sebastian Cabot.  (!!!)B

Barbara J. Winter                                            tel: (604) 291-3325
Department of Archaeology                              fax: (604) 291-5666
Simon Fraser University                                   email:  [log in to unmask]
Canada  V5A 1S6              Right theory, wrong universe