From:
Peter Wehr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 1995 14:02:33 -0500
>    ==================================================================
>
>    Our Museum is currently developing a traveling exhibition on
>    vision that will be targeted at children, ages 11 and up.  We are
>    in the beginning stages of exhibition development and thought
>    it would be a good idea to get some feedback from the museum
>    discussion group before we proceed any further.   Any comments you
>    may would be greatly appreciated!
>
>    Our questions are as follows:
>
>    1. Have you heard of a similar exhibition? (See description
>    below).  If so, what was the location of the exhibition?
>
>    2. Do you know of any resources/contacts that would help us in
>    researching/developing this exhibition?
>
>    DESCRIPTION OF PROPOSED EXHIBITION ON VISION:
>

>    The exhibition will examine vision in animals and humans and
>    will focus on the following two aspects: (1) the comparison
>    of human vision to that of other species, i.e., how do the visual
>    systems of bees, hawks, etc., operate in comparison with the
>    human visual system? and, (2) examining how the visual
>    systems of different species enhance their ability to survive in
>    their environment.
>
>    I would appreciate it if you could reply to me directly at my
>    e-mail address.  Thanks so much--our team will appreciate any
>    comments!
>
>    Licia Wells
>    The Museum of Ophthalmology

I remember seeing something on Nature or NOVA on this topic a few years
ago.  They did a very good job of simulating how different species see and
then incorporating that information into how the species makes use of it.
There is a great sequence were you stalk a mouse through a cat's eyes.

I also seem to remember seeing a multimedia kiosk on vision demonstrated at
a conference several years ago.  It might have been by Jeff Jones who was
working at the New York Hall of Science at the time, now he is with the
American Museum of Natural History.  If I recall it dealt with color
perception for humans, but my memory is pretty foggy on this.  Sounds like
a good project to adapt to a CD-ROM and/or Web site.  Perhaps a good
Virtual Reality project as well.  The visitor puts on VR goggles and gloves
and then explore the same environment through different eyes.  It would
probably generate some viscous headaches, so you would have to keep the
sessions short.  I imagine it would be like wearing someone else's glasses.

Good Luck,

Peter

Project Director
Museum Online Resource Review http://www.okc.com/morr
Overall Knowledge Company, Inc.        tel:(212) 346-7776
30 West Broadway, 9th Floor            fax:(212) 346-2287
New York, NY 10007                     http://www.okc.com