From:
"Neva J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 1995 08:15:20 -0500
Sheryl Romeo, Tony Wrenn and Sherry Birk

I think ProCite has an advantage over most database and bibliographic
utilities because it was developed by a librarian. Most materials can be
catalogued using one of the templates that comes with the software,
including visual materials.

I can't compare it with Access because I haven't used Access. However, I
found the learning curve easy to deal with in ProCite. The learning
required to get started on the cataloging is fairly quick and easy.
However the total amount of learning needed to use the full range of
resources, including customized templates, adds up. Since I did my
learning in small batches, I wasn't overwhelmed.

I used ProCite to set up a catalog in a small engineering firm, and it
works well for what they want. The only thing I'd like to point out is
*this is _not_ a circulation system, or an integrated library system.*

What it does, it does well.
Neva Smith

Neva J. Smith, MLIS           DataSmiths Information Services
                              PO Box 2157 / Round Rock, TX 78680
email: [log in to unmask]
voice: (512) 244-2767         Editor, _Library Currents_
                              PO Box 2199 / Round Rock, TX 78680