From:
Jack Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Feb 1995 13:30:02 -0800
Pam,
If you can do so, look at an affected area under a microscope (30-100X
should be fine).  It is possible that what you are seeing is fatty spew
or wax from a leather dressing.

If it is a leather dressing, VM & P naptha should redissolve it,
returning some to the leather and removing some.

If it turns out to be mold, treatment with swabs dipped in isopropyl of
ethyl alcohol will sterilize the mold and begin removing it.  Do no use
methyl alcohol on leather (or parchment) as it will begin breaking down
the collagen.  But first test to insure that the painted surface is not
alcohol soluble.  The leather dye may be an alcohol stain, but unless the
leather is flooded with alcohol, there will probably not be much movement
of the dye.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab
Portland, OR