Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 08:25:05 EST
I know of a relatively small out door museum which has a year round
animal program that has done real well with integrating the animals into
their education program. They integratingin 18th century lifeways and
have a number of farm animals from chickens to a cows  If I was starting
a program of this sort, I would contact The Claude Moore Colonial Farm at
Turkey Run, 6310 Old Georgetown Pike, McLean, Virginia 22101,
(703)442-7557 as a begining place.  This is a non-profit which receives
no governmental funding so cost is always a concern and they have
established an excellent educational program.

The other thing that I would do is get in touch with the Association for
Living Historical Farms and Agriculatural Museums (ALHFAM) at the
Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C. 20560.  If you haven't done this
yet you should, any number of their members will be able to answer your
questions.

Hope this helps, Carla Simon

Carla Simon

Curator/Bybee-Howell Site Manager

Oregon Historical Society    Internet: [log in to unmask]

1200 SW Park Avenue             Voice: 503-306-5273

Portland, OR  97205               Fax: 503-221-2035