From:
Rich Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 1995 01:12:00 PST
On 01 Feb 95, Nina Jensen wrote, in part:

>Museums have the potential to play an important role as public
>forum, but there is a long history of one-way communication to live
>down first.
>
>Had veterans' groups felt listened to from the outset, and that need
>been addressed, it is possible that a thoughtful exhibition
>representing multiple perspectives could have taken place.
>
>At Bank Street we use a useful little book called Getting to Yes:
>Negotiating Agreement without Giving In by Fisher and Ury with our
>Museum Education and Museum Leadership students.  Fisher and Ury
>suggest addressing the underlying interests rather than stated
>positions in the practice of "principled negotiation."   Perhaps
>others would find this approach useful as well.

Thank you for contributing to the discussion and for the reference.  The
Fisher/Ury text sounds like a good book that should find its way onto every
professional bookshelf *after* it's read. It's now on my reading list.

Again, thank you.

Rich Jones                              Governing Board For:
Development Director                    Carter House Natural Science Museum
Shasta Natural Science Association      Redding Arboretum By The River
[log in to unmask]              SNSA Environmental Resources Center