From:
Dave Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 1994 00:30:43 -0500
Mario Rups, I agree with you whole-heartedly that something else is afoot
beyond what the employees of Colonial Williamsburg have been told - and
the scenerio that you propose is a very likely one.

I want to make it clear that I am simply endorsing the free exchange of
ideas, opinions, and thoughts on this issue. I am not advocating
boycotts, protests, or other activities which would pose an ugly
disruption of our visitors experience at our museum. The issue lies
squarely between the employees and the administration. I have shared my
thoughts and concerns about this policy with our senior administrators.
When I am called upon to comply with this test I will. My job here and
the prospects of accomplishing some trully wonderful things is just too
valuable a thing to sacrifice by non-compliance. Something valuable will
be lost - not just a little frivolous bodily fluid as Holly Trimper
suggests  - but part of my faith and trust in my institution will be
erroded. And I suspect that the majority of fellow employees will feel
this way also. I think this unfortunate because real damage will be done
in the relationship between the administration and the staff in casting
this "sweep" to catch a few individuals.

In America we really don't take our freedoms for granted - we clutch them
with a kung-foo death-grip - lest anyone take anything from us, search
us, detain us, or wrong us without cause. We all know that freedom once
held is dearly lost and that we are all constantly striving to evolve
freedom - it expands and contracts in fits and starts.

This episode at Colonial Williamburg is but a microscopic blip within
the larger history but one of the first for the Museum Community here in
America.

Listen to all of the discussion on this list and carefully consider
what you might do if placed in a similar situation with the choices which
are being imposed on us.

Dave

"Freedom's Just Another Word, For Nothin' Left To Lose..."
                             - Janis Joplin