From:
Nina Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 1995 23:44:22 LCL
Museums have the potential to play an important role as public
forums, but there is a long history of one-way communication to live
down first. We have to understand that if the conversation begins
with seeking and getting approval for an existing script without
first finding out what is important to different groups, audience
constituencies will come to the table already feeling that their
point of view is not being heard. Secretary Heyman stated that the
Smithsonian erred in not listening to and understanding the need of
veterans to have a commemorative rather than an analytical event.
Had veterans' groups felt listened to from the outset, and that need
been addressed, it is possible that a thoughtful exhibition
representing multiple perspectives could have taken place.

At Bank Street we use a useful little book called Getting to Yes:
Negotiating Agreement without Giving In by Fisher and Ury with our
Museum Education and Museum Leadership students.  Fisher and Ury
suggest addressing the underlying interests rather than stated
positions in the practice of "principled negotiation."   Perhaps
others would find this approach useful as well.

Nina Jensen, Director
Museum Education
Bank Street College