From:
SFAlmanac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 1995 13:19:18 -0400
The question was re specific theme parks that don't distort history. I
don't know of many sophisticated theme parks, and think they're probably
often an "educational" replacement for amuseument parks (i.e. P.T.
Barnum's successful model in NY at the turn of the century, the American
Museum, featuring two-headed goats and bearded ladies) but many museums
offer exhibits that share many of the "popular" thematics of these parks.
It can be very rewarding. One example I can think of is the somewhat
pioneering "MASH" exhibit at the Smithsonian in the early 80s. Besides
proving a blockbuster of sorts, it created a fine atmosphere for learning
about war and its consequences, MASH units in general, and provided a
touchstone for Korea War and Vietnam veterans and their children. Though
based on TV and movie models, it maintained historical accuracy, as much
as viable for such a loaded and possibly horrific subject in a family
museum setting. Definitely a winner on many levels.

Re Enola Gay. I saw the plane in the hangar at the Garber Facility in
Suitland, Md. before it was brought to the Mall and exhibited. A black
canvas tarp kept in concealed and protected in its hangar. When I
questioned it, a restorer told me, "That's the Enola Gay. It's already
restored.  They want to exhibit it one day. That'll start the war all over
again." I guess he was right. These men know their planes and history. I
guess the curators didn't ask his opinion given the aftermath.

Also, someone mentioned Disney's proposal in Virginia, which was quashed.
The neighbors, as someone put it, included some very wealthy and powerful
landowners who wisely fought off an environmental disaster. The
countryside planned for the park is some of Virginia's most beautiful
"horse" country, and Disney's plan was portrayed as cancerous. The impact
of the park on the region would have proven extreme, at best. Their plan
for water, sewers and highways was criticized as completely inadequate.
Their cited arrogance in negotiations didn't help. Virginia's wealthy
landowners, in my humble opinion, are to be commended for staving off this
continued westward expansion of Washington, D.C. towards the Shenandoah. I
think it could have been a theme park or a shopping mall, the impact would
have proven controversial, regardless. I don't think park contents had all
that much to do with it in the final analysis. This was about land use.

Theme parks, museums, environmental/urban environmental issues. An
important issue in theme park discussion, so far mentioned nowhere in this
string. Aren't pristine environmental settings such as, for instance, the
state park at Chincoteague Island on Md.'s eastern shore, theme parks in
essence? You won't find Godzilla or Indiana Jones, here, but you will find
packs of wild horses, miles of ghostly sand dunes and skys right out of
Maxfield Parish. Try that, PT Barnums.

Walter Biller
San Francisco, California
(Formerly of Virginia)