From:
Carol E Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 13:11:22 -0700
I am currently working on some research associated with
unintended illusion in exhibitions and I am looking for some examples to
cite.   One of the most
telling (and a little sad) illusions I recall was in an exhibition
featuring heads of stuffed animals...two children were trying to get
behind the wall the "see the rest of the moose".   They presumed they were
there.   I also recall climbing into a replica train - I knew it was a
replica but I missed the label that told me it was 2/3 scale - so I was
left with the illusion that people were really crowded in these early
trains.The pros and cons of presentation of "reality" in exhibitions has
been tossed back and forth for years and I intend to summarise the main
arguments .... but I would like to know whether you have experiences
you can share that illustrate unintended illusion (such as the two cited
above).  I don't know whether this topic is of interest to the whole list
so please feel free to answer directly to me.
Many thanks.
Carol E. Mayer
Curator
UBC Museum of Anthropology. Vancouver.