From:
Alan E West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 1995 22:03:26 GMT
The Museum that I work for is considering putting up some WWW pages,
but wants some information in the field of cost-benefits before it
does so.  If any one could help me on the following points, either
through their own experiences, or by directing me to published
material, I would be very grateful.

1.  What is the cost overhead in staff time of maintaining web
pages?  I know this depends a lot on the size, but a rough rule of
thumb, hours per megabyte per month would be useful (if anyone has
done this kind of audit!).

2.  Do web pages actually generate an appreciable increase in
visitors, or do most museums with web pages view it as widening
their public access, rather than income generation?  How many people
each month access your web pages on average?

3.  What is the success of museum shops on the web, and what form
has proved the most profitable?

Thanking you all in advance.

Alan E West