From:
Dean DeBolt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 1994 11:08:14 CST
We have two local examples of renovated and re-used theatres.  The first, the
Saenger Theater, is a movie house built in 1925 at the heyday of glitzy
interiors.  The building was acquired by the city for taxes, and renovated
using a mixture of tax dollars, state grants, and a grant from the University
of West Florida.  My University received for its $$$ a certain number of USER
days....which if my calculations are correct, will last us well into the 21st
century.   The city, in turn, leases the house to a professional booking firm
and the theater is available for concerts, plays, and local engagements and
small artists.  I went to see Victor Borge there in December, and my daughter
just finished three nights as an orphan in ANNIE.

The second theater, the Milton Opera House, is on the second floor of a build-
ing Milton, Florida.  The Historical Society bought the building, cleaned out
the opera house (I would not say renovated exactly)....it is simply a large
hall with stage, and they bring in wooden seats.  The Historical Society rents
the Opera House for events such as weddings, plays, large get-togethers, and
occasionally special fund-raiser concerts.  It is perfect for small presenta-
tions and they put in a small kitchen to be able to keep foods hot/cold.

Dean DeBolt, University of West Florida