From:
Judith A Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 1994 09:10:34 -0500
In answer to Robbin Murphy's request for a good book on business theory,
I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions, but I would recommend regular
reading of the Wall Street Journal and a good weekly magazine like
Business Week or Forbes as ways to improve communications with business
types.  Beyond that, I'd suggest reading anything by Peter Drucker that you
can find. All of the above would be useful for "MBA wannabes", too.

Much of business literature tends to be faddish - The One Minute Manager,
In Search of Excellence, etc. - just check through Bestseller lists of the
past few years.  It's not quite as bad as self-help books, but almost.

One way to get an idea of what's being read in business administration -
in the way of theoretical works - would be to check the university bookstore
and see what books are required for courses in the MBA program.  The
Library's reserve lists for these courses are another source of titles.

Judy Turner
Milwaukee Public Museum