From:
john pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 10:29:53 -0400
On Mon, 21 Aug 1995, Nickie Bouvier wrote:

> OK - as long as we're bandying about the exact substance & definition
> of "advertising" w/in the context of this list...
>
> I schedule traveling exhibitions at SITES (Smithsonian Institution Traveling
> Exhibition Service) and occasionally face last-minute (which in my world
> means within a year of the booking date) cancellations for exhibition
> bookings.  Because SITES' program is so broad (art, history, natural
> history, science, children's exhibitions) and because I also have about 50
> other exhibitions to ride herd on at any one time, it's difficult and
> time-consuming to fill these itinerary holes by conventional means --
> letters and telephone.  Just recently, I have had two such cancellations
> -- one art, and one natural history/science -- that have set my fingers
> itching to post them to MUSEUM-L, in case anyone out there has also had
> a cancellation that corresponds to ours & is looking for a last-minute
> booking.  The only thing that has prevented me from posting them is not
> knowing how other MUSEUM-Lers will react -- Is it advertising?  Or is it a
> service to that one subscriber who is also scrambling to fill a hole in
> his/her schedule?  I think it's both....but is it OK?
>
> If anyone out there has strong feelings either way, please respond -
> either on-list if you think your comments will provide general edification
> for all or off-list if you want to respond directly to me.
>
> Thanks oodles.
>
> ____________________
>
> Nicole M. Bouvier
> Scheduling & Exhibitor Relations Coordinator
> SITES

Dear Nicole Bouvier--

Sounds like a service--a _very good_ service--to me--I'd urge you to
*post* in such an instance (unless moderator/netiquette-types have stronger
reasons to advance for *not posting*).

John N. Pearce
Director, Center for Historic Preservation
     (and James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library)
Mary Washington College
1301 College Avenue
Fredericksburg, VA 22401-5358
USA