From:
Dave Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 1995 15:01:11 -0700
I have been writing on various museum topics involving/concerning
indigenous people (primarily Native Americans, but many of the same
issues are universal to indigenous people).  I am currently concentrating
on Ethnocultural Preservation (an interdisciplinary approach to including
the non-tangible aspects of culture in exhibitions, conservation,
education, and so forth, in a responsible, sensitive, respectful
manner--with interaction with indigenous communities.)

Since Ethnocultural Preservation is not just a museum-oriented
philosophy, although based within museum philosophy, it has the ability
to alter the ways in which knowlege is acquired, ordered and
transmitted.  As a function of this philosophical approach,
task-oriented, holistic exhibitions, that "put the face of the people
with the object" is a goal.  This holistic approach also filters into
education programmes.

Conservation that embraces Ethnocultural Preservation, works with the
same respect and responsible, sensitive approach.  Since some objects
were intended for sacred uses, there are various "restrictions" as to who
can handle them, what can be done to/for them, and how/if they can be
exhibited.  The intent is to treat them in such a way that they could
resume their original purpose, if necessary.

These various activities require the interaction between museum and
originating communities.  This relationship can be an honourable avenue
for both parties, and can greatly enhance both.

Such approaches as those at the National Museum of the American Indian,
attempt to address many of these issues/approaches.  The response within
the communities has been positive, but like any "new" beginning, the
first words lead to new understandings and opportunities for further
dialogue that will mature.

Dave Wells, Director
Quinault National Museum Project
821 Kaiser RD NW 6A