From:
Dave Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 1995 21:42:46 -0700
The argument that is stated here by Linda Young, probably should be
coupled with those arguments about low pay since they may well go
hand-in-hand.

I have stated several times that perhaps museum studies should start at
the undergraduate level and extend into graduate school.  Two years is
probably stretching packing in enough information, but then again it does
depend on the programme, instructors and material covered (and there is
considerable information available from management, curation,
conservation, facilities planning, science/art/historic/ethnographic
institutions, changing philosophies in collections, exhibition, curation,
education, community interaction, fundraising and on and on...).  But in
a one-size-fits-all society, even qualifications provide little insight
into the potential of an individual's talent and vision (is the dog
wagging his tail, or the dog being wagged by the tail?).

I would be reluctant to say that two years would see me through museum
studies with enough education, although it would be a good opening into
an area.  Still I would want to look at a person before I made such
demands of a PhD-first hurdle. . . or at least I would be willing to ask
for experience or alternatives.

Dave Wells