From:
Beatrice Matkovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 1994 15:22:56 EST
     On a more technical note:
         I am wondering how different museums are producing their exhibit
labels from computer.
     On the software end, we are starting to use QuarkXPress (for PC)
because it allows for a larger format and multiple `pages' (panels) in
one document.
     On the hardware end, we are looking for a printer that can produce high
enough resolution labels to shoot film positives from, for silk-screening.
That is, without resorting to spending loads of money on a Linotronic!
     Any ideas?
There is not as simple a solution as may first appear.  It
seems as though the entire computer industry is geared towards `desk-top'
publishing which does not take the sizes and resolutions of museum labels
into consideration....

Beatrice Matkovic
National Air and Space Museum