From:
"R. Murphy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 1995 22:59:06 GMT
Lisa Falk <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> For those of us who have not seen this Whitney exhibit, could you describe
what
> you refer to as "interactive ways that have either been overlooked or are now
> possible."  Thanks!

My point is that "interactivity" isn't a matter of technical gadgets
but an environment. Ross took a great leap by actively participating
in the ECHO Whitney conference where he not only answered questions
but argued positions (especially with me) online. One of the items
in the conference centered around talking about racism and that entire
section can now be accessed via the ECHO gopher site. The Black Male
exhibit didn't have interactive kiosks. It focused on how artists
use the idea of Black Male as the subject for their art which caused
a great deal of response pro and con (Hilton Kramer, as usual, had
his shorts in a knot about it). It wasn't a great exhibit, I'm not
even sure it was successful. But it was very artist centered and
had energy because of that. Art museums have to learn that the public
likes art, they really do, but they don't like art history or academics
and no amount of technical gadgetry will change that.

Robbin Murphy