Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 1994 15:19:55 EST
     Big Ducks aside, preservationists are now getting into documenting the
early structures of American highway that reflect the rise of the automobile.
A friend of mine here in the IUPUI public history program just finished a
context report on early 20th century Indiana structures such as gas stations,
motels and so forth as well as parking garages and "auto laundries."

For those interested in these sorts of things there's also a photo book called
"The End of the Road:  Vanishing Highway Architecture in AMerica" by John
Margolies that has some neat places in it.

For those going to Seattle, be sure to look for the "Hat and Boots."  (Ask
the natives where the big cowboy boots are.)

Carolyn Brady

  [log in to unmask]   | "But I don't want to go among mad
 MA Program in Public History |    people," Alice remarked.
   Indiana University at      | "Oh, you can't help that.
     Indianapolis             |    We're all mad here."