From:
Jack Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 00:59:57 -0800
John,
Karen will certainly have something more to say in the fullness of time,
but there a couple of things which may be useful to keep in mind.

The active ingredient in baking soda is sodium bicarbonate.  One of the
ingredients in Egyptian embalming formulas was natron, a naturally
occuring form of sodium bicarbonate.  A few decades ago there were some
people who attributed the remarkable state of preservation of the linen
mummy wrappings, in part, to the presence of natron.  Linen was used for
centuries to make paper.  Therefore, sodium bicarbonate could be used to
preserve paper.

Subsequent research demonstrated that calcium or magnesium bicarbonates
were far safer to use with paper, and the use of sodium bicarbonate in
paper conservation went quietly away.

Also, gelatin emulsions are slightly acid and are unstable in an alkaline
environment.  That is why photographs and negatives are not deacidified
and should not be stored in alkaline/buffered enclosures.  Neutral seems
to be OK.  Probably.  Time will tell.

My thought (guess?) is that the *pinch* of baking soda which you used was
not enough, or was not present long enough, to make much difference.

Back to Karen.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab
Portland, OR