From:
Ann Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jul 1994 11:07:14 -0400
Elana Benamy of the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia mentioned
the recent installation of graphics panels that marked the boundaries
between the public museum and the research labs of this venerable research
museum.

I wrote the text for these panels.  It was a fascinating effort, hinging on
finding a way to present the sometimes arcane specialties practiced
"behind the doors" in a way that would be interesting and relevant to museum
visitors.  ANS was hoping to deepen public understanding of the scope of
an institution whose public presence is largely shaped by its spectacular
dinosaur exhibits.  I left Philadelphia shortly after the project was
completed (coincidence-- really!) so I do not know if any formal research
has been done, but I've heard anecdotes that suggest that some of the
goals have been fulfilled.

It's a very simple, low-tech, affordable way to reveal what happens behind
the scenes, in the areas that most of us simply do not include on our maps.

Ann Mintz
Orlando Science Center