From:
Mel Glover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2023 22:54:15 +0000
Hello, Jessie.

I'm no master but I do consider myself a journeyman. I've always stuck with the good ol' fashion freezing method. I'm not sure that I trust the chemicals that go into a fumigation event.

I take the article, wrap it in heavy-duty trash bag(s) and make certain that everything is airtight. The colder you can get it, the faster it will be effective. In grad school our guidelines were if the freezer was into the low 20s (f) things might need to be stored for months, -20s, and that time was shortened to a few weeks. We were also taught to freeze for the needed amount of time, let thaw for a couple days, and then shove that sucker right back into the freezer. It tricks the bugs into thinking things were warming up and wasting metabolic fuel.

The Canadian Conservation Institute has a nice write-up as does the NPS's Conserve O Gram found here- https://www.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/03-06.pdf