From:
Charles Fulcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:47:29 -0400
We've just recently posted our virtual tour through Google: http://goo.gl/maps/LwFqV. It's worth noting it's not an "app," per se, but just a function of the Google maps platform. In this way, it's accessible on any computer or smart phone, without needing to download a separate application.

The National Cathedral walks a line that snakes between active cultural institution, historic site, and museum. We were first alerted to Google virtual tours when several cathedrals in England starting offering the indoor street view. Those cathedrals worked through the "Google Business Photos" platform to create their tours (not the Art Project), so I researched the steps to follow and found that Google posts a list of "Trusted Photographers" who participate in the program. You can contact the photographers directly, or put it in a request through Google to participate.

I reached out to a handful of photographers and found an array of responses and prices ... each photographer offered their own package, which included various still shots, virtual tours of different sizes (# of composite photos), and different costs. The photographer we worked with is the only photographer in Maryland classified as a "Top Performer" by Google and was he was really interested in partnering with us (keep in mind this can be great publicity for the photographer as well as the host institution). I gather the Google photography community is both tight knit and also competitive, so partnering with a particular museum or cultural institution can be a feather in the cap of a photographer looking for good press. Depending on the photographer with whom you partner, you might find a great deal regarding what you get for your money.

Through the process, I learned that the program of indoor virtual tours is continuing to evolve. Google has changed the number of panoramic stations used to comprise the tours (they used to have a cap of 30 stops on the tours); they now offer tours on multiple levels of institutions, and I'm sure more changes will be coming before long.

We initially viewed this as a strong outreach tool, both for people searching through Google and also for people who find the tour on our own website. You can embed the tour on your website and not lose any bandwidth, as all the content is hosted by Google. This also enables you to capture particular views from the tour to take online visitors straight to a particular point ... rather than only navigating from the same beginning point every time. A surprising side effect so far is how well it's been received by internal constituents. I've presented the tour to staff and volunteers at different meetings and training sessions ... they were very excited by it! I think they enjoy the fun of seeing the Cathedral online in such great detail, but it's also a nice reference for them to look up particular details when they can't in person. Consider the benefits of space rental and event planning when participating parties can actually navigate the space online to evaluate and plan!

We're excited about the ways in which we can use the program and have been pleased with the responses thus far. I'd be glad to share any other thoughts/experiences or answer any questions.

Charles

Charles E. Fulcher Jr.
Special Programs Manager

WASHINGTON NATIONAL CATHEDRAL
Telephone (202) 537-6207 • Fax (202) 364.6611
www.groups.cathedral.org