Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
jerry symonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2008 09:39:15 -0000
Hi Gayle,

I have read the recent topical and extremely relevant discussions on
copyright with interest: I think the point you are making here takes raises
whether MUSEUM L is a reference source or a online debating forum: I am sure
the answer is "both"....

On all the listservs I belong to (quite a number) "what goes around comes
around" and I actually find that extremely healthy, not frustrating at all.
Whilst I agree that this can be frustrating for "older members" who are
thinking "Oh no, not this again", for newcomers like me, it is useful to see
current issues being discussed at any time, no doubt with new
perspectives/expertise from more recent members that may not have
participated in earlier debates. Especially as a UK member, what may seem
obvious to you guys, may not be obvious to me at all and that's a valuable
perspective.

I agree it makes sense to use the 'accumlated wisdom' contained in the
archives but at the same time I see this as a vibrant "lets talk about it
now" listserv where you can ask a quick question and get quick responses: I
frankly don't always have the time to spend doing a detailed seach
especially when this pre-assumes you know exactly where to look/what to look
for/correct terminology etc.

I was also interested in your comment that:  "copyright issues stay
relatively stagnant". In the USA this may be the case, but in the UK it
could not be more different: interpretation of copyright, especially for
museums, is a minefield and under constant discussion and review. One only
has to read the newspapers to see the number of copyright disputes at any
one time on 2D and 3D art, the performing arts, etc. I would therefore
prefer to use the term "debating" than "arguing" in the discussions here and
also recommend a degree of patience: on any topic discussed there will be
those who know a lot about it and those who know little: one of the benefits
of discussion it that it brings everyone up the same level on the 'playing
field'.

I like you idea about FAQ's, but that sounds like a full time job to me!

Best Wishes,

Jerry