From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 15:24:30 -0700
On 5/29/07 2:12 PM, Anne Lane's electrons arrived as:

>I think that the person who
> spoke of demonstrating the evolution of a current species into a new one meant
> something more on the order of an animal of one species giving birth to
> something of a demonstrably new species.

Here's an interesting observation on fruit fly speciation:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-06/uor-nsf061203.php

Personally, I don't understand the point by Creationists that evolution
science should be able to produce a current new species or transitional
species.

It seems to me that the time-scale required for evolutionary change makes it
impossible that one species could be observed transforming into another in
real-time nature -- particularly when looking through a window only 150
years wide.  Maybe someone on the list better informed on speciation could
comment...

Same for so-called transitional species -- which in order to survive as a
species would not appear transitional in the sense of being just a temporary
anomaly.  The duck-billed platypus is an example -- but for that matter, so
are bats and sea lions.  Seems like all species are transitional.

/s

S t e p h e n    N o w l i n

http://xrl.us/googlewilliamson

Director, Williamson Gallery