From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2006 11:11:06 -0700
Diane,

Thanks for throwing my hat in the ring!

You need to be concerned about the total electromagnetic spectrum
produced by light energy. UV is the most damaging but the other
components of the light spectrum incur damage as well.

Simply put, light damage is cumulative and irreversible. It isn't only
the intensity but also the duration. So just cutting down on UV or on
the total amount of light energy helps alot but not if you leave those
lights on ALL the time.

There is a formula for calculating light damage - I think it is still
available on the CCI web site (Candian Conservation Institute)

Damage not only happens to paintings and prints, textiles,  and other
sensitive decorated media, but also very often to furniture in
historic houses as well. Finishes can be literally blasted and
"bleached" by harsh direct sunlight.

People two hundred years ago were well aware of light damage - many
historic housekkeping books recommend closing blinds, covering
furniture, and having curtains within bookcases, to mitigate the
damaging effects of the sun. Those are ALL simple things that you can
do in your historic house and that activitiy is a great opportunity
for public interpretation and education.

Survey your house, site, or gallery for the the worst sources of light
and potential damage and throw your efforts and resources and planning
there. So if you have east or west facing windows, guess what? Maybe
you don't put the painting on the wall opposite that window!

In galleries and traditional museums there are a wealth of strategies
that work well to manage light sensitive collections, their exhibition
and storage. And it all does not have to be all high-tech and
expensive. Just understand the issues and develop a sensible plan to
preserve your collections as best you can within your resoruces.
Believe me - if you do a little label or even an exhibit panel on
light damage to explain to visitors they will truly appreciate it.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator