From:
archives <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:45:15 -0500
Our historical society has been undertaking a project of scanning photos that are owned
by members of the community for inclusion in our research catalog (most of these we
would have never seen if it hadn't been that they get their originals back).
As of right now the donor/loanee(?) brings in their photos, we scan them, make a CD of
the scans as well as attach each image to a catalog record (donation form shown
as 'loaned for scanning'), and return the original photos to the donor/loanee.  This
way it seems everybody benefits--we have images for our research files, and the owner
knows if something happens to their originals and CD copy there is a high-quality scan
in our files.
We make these photos 'Image restricted' so that permission from the owner is needed for
any publication.
What happens if the original loanee dies/moves away, and we cannot find any family for
permission?  Can restricted images become unrestricted after a period of time?
We hate not to have these images, but if all anyone can do is look at them on our
cataloging, then they do very little good and we have spent time and energy for
nothing.
This has happened with a large group of portrait photos taken in the 1940s that
are 'image restricted'.  Most of these 500+ photos are sitting in our files and the
owner information is long useless.  We don't wish to have it happen again.
Any input would be welcome.  Thanks.  Clarke Co. Hist. Assoc., VA