From:
Erna Dyanty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 23:09:44 -0400
Dear Christian,

I checked my name once before online to see its origin and found that it
is actually a German. Funny, cause am not even european, Javanese. My
grandfather gave the name. I'm happy to know i share the same name as your
grandmother =).

Just for the record, i didn't see any impoliteness at all from your reply,
I take all criticism on a +ve level. I am Jr curator because of my lack of
knowledge really, New recruit and have not yet meddled with anything i
don't have knowledge on. As i have mentioned before i was a Jr Curator in
a small private art gallery where the responsibilities are by far
different from each other.
In an art gallery i was more of a custodian of contemporary art, dealing
with exhibition management, clients, buying, selling, coorinating,
inventory. No hands on experience with conserving, researching in a Museum
context.
Am in a learning process and i think I've started on the right foot. Thank
you for the support all the way from germany. much appreciated.

Kate,

Thanks for the two thumbs up via email :). Am sure you'll be hearing more
from me. A brief information on what my job scope is. I work for the
Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia (IAMM). As  Jr Curator(trainee/new recruit)
my task would be more of a curator of exibits (select exibit theme,
researching selected artefacts and assigned gallery, archiving and
cataloging, art heritage custodian. Hope that little pliagarised with
added text makes a clearly view for you.

to all,

i have started doing an assignment due to tthe fact that this career line
is still very much a young subject (here at least) and vague, there isnt
much to start on. I have found a few museum books i can start reading on.

I have started conservation training, but still looking into other things
i should learn about with in that department. Basiclally, these 3 are the
main areas I am currently looking into:-

1. FUndamentals of curatorship.

3. The necessity and symbiosis of both curatorial and conservation
departments.

2. Reading + LEarning on all areas of woodwork.

I'd like to ask of assitance, i'll be updating my progress as i go, making
my assignment visible in order to learn and find out loop wholes that I
possibly can cover in the process of learning. If any would care to
criticise/get into a constructive discussion please fill free.

As the both of you have been in this field for sometime, if you had to
train a new recruit what are the matters of importance you'd like to point
out?