From:
Devon Larsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 13:03:30 -0700
Dear Listers:

I am interested in how museums distinguish "archive"
collections from accessioned object collections in
their databases.

For example, we have received a set of bronze award
medals given to an artist whom the museum collects. We
would like to keep these medals for their informative
value to the artist's career, but we do not want to
accessioned them into the collection. I would like to
have a prefix or separate numbering system so they are
easily distinguishable from formally accessioned
objects in the collection. Is there a common practice
such as adding an "A"  for archive or "Ref" for
reference before the inventory number in the database
that might accomplish this task?

Thank you in advance
best regards
Devon Larsen