From:
John Nolan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:12:14 -0400
With the need to rebuild and restore New Orleans on the horizon, it made me think of an alternative approach  to turn the city (or at least part of it) into a "Venice" of America. New structures could be built up to a higher level and canals could be built to actually allow the water to be a part of the city as it naturally wants to be. Significant existing structures could be raised to the new level and new architecture built to a point where flooding is managed.

I am speaking from no knowledge of what ramifications are involved, but what a great tourist and commercial draw it would be to infuse the city with the economic resuscitation it needs. Architects and engineers could be challenged to make a phoenix rise from the waters to be an all-new experience. The flavor of old New Orleans architecture could be resurrected into a new format.

Of course, Venice faces continual problems today with its flooding, but maybe enough lessons have been learned from those advising what to do to "save" Venice and apply it to a city on the water that needs to start over.

There is always the threat of another hurricane to wipe out the city (something that Venice doesn't face), but maybe raising the city would at least help address the flooding problem.

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

Regards,

John

John Nolan
Curator

Museum & Gallery at Bob Jones University
1700 Wade Hampton Blvd.
Greenville, SC 29614
T: 864.770.1331
F: 864.770.1306