From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:07:51 -0800
Through most of the 1980s, and early 1990s,
Pittsburgh's original Buhl Planetarium and Institute
of Popular Science [then also known as Buhl Science
Center] offered quite a few sleepovers or
"overnighters" as they were called [usually, the
children only got a few hours of sleep], primarily for
groups such as boy scouts, girl scouts, camp fire
boys, camp fire girls, etc. My understanding is that
Pittsburgh's Carnegie Science Center continues that
policy.

It depends on how large a building you have, regarding
the cost of keeping the building open all night. With
a 40,000 square-foot building, it did not cost as much
to keep the original Buhl Planetarium building open
for such special events. At that time, the facilities
director said that it cost only about $100 per hour
[not including staff costs] to keep the building open
to the public. Of course costs would be higher today,
and higher still if you have a much larger building.

Of course, the primary way to make such a program
affordable is to have a good volunteer program.
Although volunteers had always helped at Buhl
Planetarium since the building's opening in 1939, a
comprehensive volunteer program was started in 1983.
Overnighters could not have been implemented without a
great deal of volunteer assistance.

gaw