Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:40:17 -0600
Quote:
From what I understand, the issue is not copyright, it's the rights of
ownership.  The diaries belong to the museum, and the museum may do what
they see fit with them.  You do not owe anyone access.
=========
When we donated my mother's obviously 1920s quilt to the Texas Tech Museum's
textile collection, we had to sign a release so that we no longer have any
claim on the item. That was not easy for us to do, but they assured us it
would be well cared for and we can see it whenever we have a family reunion,
etc., with prior arrangements. Even if we want to photgraph it, now, we have
to get their permission, and usually they require one of their university
photographers to take the picture. Perhaps such a document would simplify
ownership of anything donated to a museum.

Betty DuBose Hamilton
Chairman, Terry County Historical Commission
Brownfield, Texas