From:
Carol Kocian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 15:27:20 -0000
     I work in graphics, and I research and lecture on historic costume for
fun.  For my slide presentation, I scanned a few images from books and had
slides made by a service bureau.  This worked better than some of what I've
seen lecturers doing when they shoot directly from a book.  I had no dark
slides, and I can crop exactly what I want to show.  I've digitally enhanced
some paintings to show a costume detail, and also combined several details onto
one slide and added titles or captions.

     The service bureau told me that a lower resolution would be sufficient,
since slides are small.  I knew that was silly, because they're projected large
and I wanted my audience to see the details!  You don't get the same details
from Powerpoint.  I used a high resolution, I think my scanner's maximum is
2400 pixels per inch.  I also used a larger image size, I think 7x10 inches, so
the resulting pixels per inch on the slide would be even greater.

     The image files will be large, and the service bureau may balk or charge
more for it.  Find out their maximum limits and you may discover it's within a
useful range for you.  If in doubt, it's very worthwhile to have a few tests
made up before having a group of slides made.

     I used a service bureau in Washington, DC, though I don't have their name
handy.  A high-end photo service shop or print service bureau should be able to
do this.  The cost was $5 per slide with a $25 minimum.  I could not afford to
do this for every slide, but it was very worthwhile for images I either scanned
or generated on the computer.

     -Carol