Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:13:21 -0500
7bit
From:
"Jon N. Austin" <[log in to unmask]>
Indigo,

Well said.  Those of us in positions to hire staff need gentle reminders
every so often.  However, I believe that applicants also need instruction,
which apparently isn't offered in school, as you suggested.

I've seen too many young applicants express their frustration on this list
over their inability to obtain employment in museums, and I've suspected
that the problem may lie at the beginning of the process with the
applicant's approach and a mis-matching of the applicant and the position.
 I've offered the same advice off-list to others based on fifteen years'
experience hiring staff to work in small, local history museums.  I, too,
was faced with the same frustrations after grad school at age twenty-five,
saying, "I can do THAT!" when I had nothing to back it up other than my own
self-confidence.  Applicants need to set themselves up for success rather
than for failure.

First, please read the job posting carefully.  As a potential employer,
I've identified my institution's needs and resources, and I've crafted a
summary of the responsibilities associated with the position.  Through
experience, I've determined the types of skills that I need in the new
hire.  I've identified the type of personality that will integrate with
other members of our team.  Candidates, please don't apply if you don't
meet the minimums (education, skills, AND experience) on the off-chance
that no one else is applying.  While your enthusiasm is apparent, it will
not compensate for a lack of experience or skill.  You may be convinced
that you can handle the job, but when comparing your material with others I
receive, you quickly fall to the bottom of the stack.  In a small
institution especially, I need staff who can hit the ground running because
I've been without a key staff member usually for a matter of months.  If
you lack appropriate experience, be creative and get some; you'll probably
have to volunteer.  In this day and age, your summer internship may not be
competitive.

If I ask for a resume, please don't send six pages.  If I ask for the names
and telephone numbers, please don't send me six photocopied letters plus
transcripts.  Don't send me a photograph of yourself.  If I ask for a
writing sample, please make sure that your grammar and typing skills will
impress me rather than undermine your chances.  Follow-up calls are
appropriate, but they can become annoying if placed too frequently.  Dear
applicant, please know that as the employer I'm reviewing scores of resumes
and can only select a limited number of prospects to consider seriously,
hoping that I've selected the person with the right "fit" for my
institution.

When we get to the interview stage, please don't be late; also, don't be an
hour early.  Dress in a manner appropriate for the position and its level
of public contact.  Do your homework; take time to read the material that
I've sent you.  I'm investing time in you, and I expect the same in return.

I hope that the above offers some insight to applicants to assist them in
their job search.

Jon N. Austin, Director
Museum of Funeral Customs
1440 Monument Avenue
Springfield, Illinois   62702

217-544-3480
217-544-3484 (fax)
www.FuneralMuseum.org

The Museum operates under the auspices of the Illinois Funeral Directors
Association and the Illinois Funeral Service Foundation, a 501 (c) 3
non-profit corporation.