Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Patricia Stroh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:03:36 EST
Does your museum own any Beethoven treasures? I am compiling a new guide to
Beethoven manuscripts and other unique materials located in the U.S. This
guide will update Sonneck's Beethoven Letters in America and O. Albrecht's
census of Beethoven's music manuscripts, but will also include special items
not previously listed (see description below). If your collections contain
materials appropriate for inclusion in the new guide, I would very much
appreciate hearing about them. Please respond directly to me at
[log in to unmask] I have already been in touch with most of the
libraries in this country that own Beethoven manuscripts, and am now looking
for more obscure materials that may be in museum collections.

I am also collecting information on Beethoven treasures in private
collections. So if you know of a Beethoven collector in your area, I would
appreciate your help in putting me in contact with that person.

Thanks much!

Patricia Stroh
Curator, Ira. F. Brilliant Center for Beethoven Studies (on leave until Jan.
21, 2003)
San Jose State University

Beethoven materials to be included in the new guide:

1) All types of original manuscripts (letters, leaves from conversation books
and household accounts, notes, signed receipts, sketches and autographs of
compositions, copyist manuscripts with Beethoven's corrections, contrapuntal
studies and Beethoven's autograph copies of other composers' music)

2) Manuscript copies of Beethoven's music in other hands dating from
Beethoven's lifetime up to ca. 1850

3) Original letters to or about Beethoven from Beethoven's lifetime

4) Printed materials with Beethoven's handwritten inscription or other
markings (e.g. autographed or corrected first editions of his music)

5) Personal items (e.g. copies of his visiting card, strands of his hair)

6) Original programs for performances of Beethoven's music from his lifetime

7) Original portraits or portrait engravings from Beethoven's lifetime

The following institutions need not respond, as I have already collected
information on their Beethoven treasures:

Austin, TX: University of Texas
Baltimore: Peabody Conservatory of Music
Berkeley: UC Berkeley
Boston: Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum; New England Conservatory
Cambridge: Harvard
Chicago: Newberry Library
Edwardsville, IL: Southern Illinois U.
Ithaca: Cornell
Los Angeles: UCLA
Louisville, KY: University of Louisville
Milwaukee: Milwaukee Public Library
New Brunswick: Rutgers
New Haven, CT: Yale
New York, NY: Metropolitan Opera Guild; NYPL; Pierpont Morgan Library
Oakland, CA: Mills College
Oberlin, OH: Oberlin College
Philadelphia, PA: Historical Society of Pennsylvania
Princeton, NJ: Princeton U.
Rochester, NY: Eastman School of Music
San Marino, CA: Huntington Library
Santa Barbara, CA: Karpeles Manuscript Library
St. Paul, MN: Schubert Club
Stanford, CA: Stanford University
Washington, DC: Library of Congress