Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 07:40:49 -0600
Marilynn,

The building we had the rods in was a REconstructed historic building.
However, even in
our original homes, we had mats or such there to "protect" the orginal wood
or stairs, etc.  IMHO, I would rather spend money on rods and drill a few
holes, for example, than have to replace the original stairs because of wear
and tear because we did not have a quality protective layer (carpets or
mats) in place.

The woven, pioneer or old looking runners up the stairs look very
impressive, and the rods
hold/held down the carpets well.  However, when it comes to clean them--that
is a different story.  You have to remove the rods (or loosen them) to
remove the carpets to clean. But in the
end the time will save you lots of expense in repairs.

I was also suggesting a quality professional runner/mat on the well traveled
pathways throughout
the historic homes.  They may not be "period" but I'm sure the public
understands they are
their to protect the home, and you can get a black or a dark color that
blends with the
style of the home.  Using woven runners wear and tear much, and lots of
cleaning.....when
you get thousands of peopel walking over them.  So you have to look at that.
Maybe,
putting down a modern-type runner up the stairs (even with rods) would look
nice, too, and
last longer and be safer for people going up and down the stairs.  You need
to think of the
visitors (if they trip on a loose end to a woven rung, etc.)

Some of the professional mats are easily cleaned, takes lots of abuse but
looks nice and
may work for you if you didn't want to go with woven rugs.  We did have some
mats down
in our Visitor's Center, and the professional cleaners would come and
replace them weekly
or whenever they needed cleaning, replacement.  You may want to talk to such
a business
and they may have another way to place and hold such mats/rugs going up/down
stairs...besides
rods.

Best,

John Martinson