From:
Cheryl Brookshear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:28:22 -0600
Abby,
I have just completed my first exhibit, and it deals with 19th century fashion!  I wasn't able to do a lot of educational programming (we don't have much space for programs)  Here are some of the things I would have liked to do.
A fashion show - a nearby town has a group that is very interested in Victorian life and many have their own clothing.  Check with your local reinactors, people involved in this type of activity often know others interested in other time periods.
A slide show - not as interesting as a fashion show, but may be good for adults.  Focusing on underwear I've noticed gets a little more attention.
Dress up - Check with the Ramsey house (Minnesota Historical Society)  During some tours they dress a visitor with the appropriate undergarments (corset, petticoats etc.)  I will do a bit of this in my exhibit, we will have our reproduction garments available complete with bustle
pads.  Visitors can look at the dresses and I plan to try to convince some visitors to try on the bustle pads.  We got our patterns for these dresses at the Wisconsin Historical Society.
Workshop? - Can you find someone to teach tatting or crocheting for lace to be added to dresses?  Sewing techniques?

I do plan to have a research hands on area, the dresses, bustle pad, catalog reprints, patterns, sewing instructional books from the time and any thing else I can find.

Cheryl Brookshear
Hearthstone Historic House
Appleton, WI