From:
Belinda Nickles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:20:18 -0500
I just thought of something else we used to do.
We always tried to have at one item that can
be touched (a reproduction or something that
we had several examples of)and advertise the fact
with bright, eye-catching signs.  This ploy worked
best at the end of an exhibit as kind of a reward
for being good and not touching the other
artifacts.  For a Native American exhibit, we
offered an entire "Touch Me" center with
reproduction baskets, buffalo bones, bead
work, etc.  The adults enjoyed it as much as
the kids.  We called that section "Footnotes"
and as an extra bonus we had take-home sheets
decorated with footprints and containing
additional information on the reproductions.

Of course the "touch me" signs don't always have
the expected result.  For one exhibit I placed
bright yellow handprints saying "touch me" beside
each touchable reproduction.  This worked fine
for the adults like me who grew up in a world with
a lot less electronics.  But the children placed their
hands directly on the handprints expecting some
kind of interaction.  The puzzled looks on their
faces were enlightening.

Belinda Nickles
Museum Consultant