From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 13:07:15 -0700
To post, or not to post? That is the question.

I've struggled with the relevancy of posting this and
finally concluded, after much internal battle, that it
is probably a good idea to make this information
available to the group.

What is the one piece of advice that has most
consistently been offered to young people who are just
starting out wanting a career in museums?

Why, go volunteer at one, of course.

By the time this idea is gifted them, they are full of
college debt and eager to get going so that they can
be prepared to meet the debt collector.

Why not get them started in the concept of
volunteering at a museum(s) when they're still in
their teens?

Why not make opportunities available for teens in the
musuems field known to them and perhaps lighten some
of your all-too-full work load?

Ok, so that's the logic I used that said post this
(Hi, Roy, LOL).

Also, since there will be job fairs in a myriad of
cities, why not get your positions out there and young
people get your backsides there?

This, too shall abate.

I hope some of you find value in this offering and, if
you don't this is a test to see if your delete key is
still functioning properly.  You know how computers
are.  Don't always work when you want them to.

Dear friends,

Over the last few years, we have received lots of
email from young people around the world, asking us to
refer them to places where they can volunteer or get
involved in their community.

To meet this need, we've just launched a new site for
Kids, Teens and teachers at http://www.idealist.org/kt

The site includes:

* Organizations started by kids

* Volunteer opportunities for people under 18

* Resources for starting community projects, and for
addressing personal questions and problems

* Links to a variety of nonprofit sites for kids

* How to use Idealist in the classroom

If you work for an organization that could use people
under 18 as volunteers, please post your opportunities
at http://www.idealist.org

Like every other part of Idealist, the Kids and Teens
site is a work in progress. If you know of a good
resource, anywhere in the world, that is missing here,
please email [log in to unmask]

An important side note. After some hesitation
following the events of September 11, we decided to go
forward with all the Nonprofit Career Fairs planned
for the next days and months.

If you or your organization are in or near any of the
following cities, it would be great to meet you
face-to-face at one of these events:

September 25   Atlanta
September 28   Oakland
October 4      New Orleans
October 11     Miami
October 24     Portland, OR
October 25&26  New York
November 6     Nashville
November 7     Seattle
November 9     Los Angeles
November 29    Washington DC
February 1     Pittsburgh
February 19    Austin
February 25    Minneapolis/St.Paul
February 27    Phoenix
March 26       Philadelphia
March 27       Denver
April 3        Richmond, VA
April 5        Boston (Tufts)

All of these fairs are *free* for individuals, while
organizations pay only $50 to register. Please go to
http://www.idealist.org/fairs.html to find out more
about these events, and to register for the one
nearest you.

That's all for now. Take care, and all the best!

Ami, Russ, Lorene, Dan, Mireya, Lea, Liz, Emma,
Samantha & Kamana

Action Without Borders
http://www.idealist.org
1-212-843-3973

To subscribe to this newsletter, or to unsubscribe
from it, please go to our homepage at
http://www.idealist.org

Action Without Borders is a nonprofit organization
that promotes the sharing of ideas, information and
resources to help build a world where all people can
live free and dignified lives in a healthy
environment. Idealist.org, a project of AWB, is one of
the richest communities of nonprofit and volunteering
resources on the Web, with information provided by
24,000 organizations in 152 countries and over 15,000
visitors every day.

=====
Indigo Nights