From:
"Mark Fowle @ INNOVA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 20:42:57 -0700
Constance,

We provide interactive electronic systems for use in museum exhibits.  This
includes a range of digital audio repeaters.  You can get more information
on our website (specifically,
http://www.innova-at.com/moreinfo/systmodu/systmodu.html).

I would not suggest using a CD player in a museum environment.  The basic
reason is that most consumer model CD players are not intended for constant
use and you will end up replacing them on a fairly regular basis.  There are
some industrial quality CD players which will last longer than the consumer
models and have a proportionately higher cost.  These can be appropriate in
certain situations but are generally cost prohibitive a still prone to
mechanical failure.  This is also true for industrial grade DVD players.

We recently worked with FAO Schwarz to provide an repeating audio background
(similar to what you described).  They had been using CD players in their
stores and the constant maintenance was a real problem for them.

Digital audio repeaters have no moving parts to wear which eliminates the
most problem prone components.  If you would like to further discuss the
trade-offs of the various approaches please give me a call.

-Mark-

 * Mark Fowle, General Manager
 * INNOVA Applied Technology
 * 2841 East 19th Street