From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 15:22:34 -0800
Hello -
I have searched Museum-L and Cons DistList archives for help with this
problem but found nothing conclusive. We have a number of African drums
that have been on exhibit for several years in an unsealed case in our
exhibit gallery. We discovered recently that several of them are infested
with what I think are dermestids - they have been attacking the hide of the
drumheads and bindings and leaving little piles of frass and shed larval
skins. I have removed the drums from the case and sealed them in plastic
bags; now I am looking for treatment options. I am hesitant to freeze them
due to the tension of the drumheads - is this a valid concern? The drum
bodies are made of wood, except for a cute little tin can drum. Vacuuming
alone will not get at the insides of the drums, most of which have small
holes in them for bugs to crawl through. What is your opinion of using an
oxygen scavenger such as Ageless? The largest drum is about 30 inches high,
so sealing them in impermeable bags made of something such as Marvelseal
would be feasible.
         And, when I get rid of the critters, how do I keep this from
recurring? Any suggestions as to the best way to monitor for dermestids? Is
there something I can put in the case to keep them away? Any suggestions
cheerfully accepted!
Thanks,
Anne

Anne T. Lane, Collections Manager
York County Culture & Heritage Commission
4621 Mount Gallant Road
Rock Hill SC 29732-8666
803-329-2121, ext. 104
Fax 803-329-5249