From:
Maria Sanchez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 19:15:13 EDT
The Sensitive Materials Committee recommended that the Cyber Arte
Exhibit
stay up.  The Our Lady art piece will not be removed but the exhibit will
stay up only until October 2001 instead of its original date of February
2002.
        This speaks for freedom of artistic expression.

        As  has been surmised from my calls for support of the Cyber Arte
exhibit
including support for Alma Lopez and Tey Mariana Nunn I believe in freedom
of artistic expression.  Alma and Tey Mariana have taken a lot of abuse
which was totally misplaced.  Threats, name calling and other forms of
intimidation are not what I  consider to be Christian practices.  I was
present at both meetings held regarding the exhibit and I saw that the
protestors against Our Lady, at the first meeting, were not above
committing violence in order to get their way.  The possibility of violence
was very  real.  There did not seem to be any concern for the safety of the
children, elderly and others present.  Alma and Tey, who were not permitted
to speak although several male protesters were, feared for their lives upon
leaving the meeting place.  Both women have been very brave in how they
have handled the abuse heaped upon them.  At times the abuse was based on
misinformation, lack of information, plain ignorance or soley on the fact
that Alma Lopez is lesbian.  The abuse became personal and the issue of
freedom of artistic expression and  the role of museums in communities got
lost.   A small number of the protestors took advantage of the controversy
to get their "fifteen minutes of fame."  They peformed for the cameras, the
reporters and for anyone who spoke with them.  And in the case of one
artist/protestor who gave his credentials to validate his views on what is
art and to criticize Alma's work, his movidas were highly suspect.
Certainly the media, especially the newspapers, played a role in exploiting
Alma's work and not until letters to the editors started to point out this
fact did they stop using the art piece in their reports. Just this last
weekend one of the television stations reporting on the fact that no
recommendation was forthcoming from the museum showed Our Lady, with the
camera taking a close up starting from the bottom up.  The camera moved
slowly as if caressing the image.  These reports also contributed to the
abuse suffered by both women.  Charges that Tey Mariana was not sensitive
to the community or that she was inexperienced are groundless. She has long
family roots in New Mexico and is very much aware of Hispano traditions.
Tey has worked at the Smithsonian and as is known not many Chicanas or
Chicanos get the opportunities to work in such an environment. Finally,
this controversy was instigated by a very small number of persons in
positions to impose their views on specific segments of el pueblo hispano y
catolico.  Censorship was the cover for the social, cultural and political
issues that are impacting the Hispano community in Santa Fe in view of the
changes that the city is experiencing.    Teresa M.