Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Eric Yuan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 20:02:44 -0400
Hello,
I am looking for an exhibit design position at a science museum.  I have a
B.S. in Biomedical Engineering at Boston U and a M.A. in Secondary
Education (Physics) at Tufts U.  I can offer a wide knowledge base of
science topics (physics, biology, chemistry, electronics, medicine) and
have scientific instrumentation experience (including metal fabrication,
programming, electronics, user/computer interfacing).

However, most of the positions that are open want graphic design
experience.  I am having a difficult time entering the job market. Can
anyone lend a suggestion?

Also I was curious as to a few questions:
1) What is the ideal training/background for a exhibit designer in the
science and technology field?
2) Are there any museum studies programs specifically devoted to science
museums?  I have reserached a few museum programs but they don't seem to
give much training on interactive exhibits.
3) Can anyone sum up the design process for a science exhibit?  I have met
graphic artists and technicians and fabricators, but who researches the
concepts behind the exhibits?
4) What should be my first step? Some have told me to start any job within
the museum just to get in the door, then to network.  Others have said that
once you get a position, its hard to switch.  Are there any positions that
lead up to exhibit designing?
5) What salary range should I expect as an entry-level exhibit designer? As
I become more experienced?

Thank you very much for you help,
Eric Yuan